Why Get Involved?
Student organizations are a network of support for students’ academic and personal success. Students who establish connections with other campus community members are more likely to persist and succeed.
Steps to Start and Reactivating Recognized Student Organization
- See the Minister of Constitutional Affairs (MOCA) in the Student Leadership Center.
- Determine the RSO Representative (as student contact).
- Receive the registration forms (RSO List of Members and RSO Terms of Agreement). Proceed to identify 10 students (for starting an RSO) or 5 students (for reactivating an RSO) and a faculty or staff member to be the RSO’s advisor.
- Once the forms are filled, contact MOCA and receive the RSO Constitution Template via email and send back the filled template to MOCA.
- Contact the Minister of Finance (MOF) to receive the baseline budget and advisor stipend.
- Be present at a parliament meeting to present the RSO’s purpose for approval (not required if students are reactivating RSO).
Student Organization Member Expectations & Responsibilities
Your student organization is uniquely yours! Gain the benefits and share the responsibility for its success. As a member you are expected to:
• Attend meetings and participate in activities.
• Volunteer to help with events.
• Promote the student organization’s goals as stated in the student organization constitution or the organization’s purpose.
• Invite campus community members to activities.
• Welcome and respect involvement from all SCC student populations.
• Follow procedures and guidelines in the Student Activities Manual.
• Follow the guidelines for student behavior in SCC Policy 5030: Student Conduct and Discipline.
In addition, student organization officers represent their members at training sessions and meetings. They also lead by coordinating the efforts of members to transform ideas into action.
Feel free to develop your own list of members and officer expectations to better fit your organization’s goals. For assistance, meet with your advisor or contact the Student Leadership Center.
Student Leadership Contact:
Lisa Smith : 206.546.5862 | email@example.com
Minister of Constitutional Affairs : 206.546.4654 | StudentConstitution@shoreline.edu
Minister of Finance: 206.546.4654 | StudentFinance@shoreline.edu